Is your Oakville senior’s residence getting excited about the upcoming holiday season? The holidays are always a special time. People go out to buy presents. Family and friends gather together to share a meal and celebrate.
There are a lot of events happening around Oakville, ON communities. People visit different holiday markets for some local shopping. Parks and streets are adorned with various holiday trinkets and a lot of twinkling lights. These types of traditions are what make the holidays extra special.
Lighting Up Oakville Retirement Homes
One holiday tradition in Oakville, ON, that people look forward to is the tree lighting ceremony at the Kerr Village Holiday Fest. There’s something about the lights that make the atmosphere more magical.
- Around the world, there are even more celebrations centered on the magic of lights. Here in Ontario, the Winter Festival of Lights held in Niagara Falls is one of the most sought-after festivals in Canada. Here are other festivals of lights around the world. Fête des Lumières – Lyon, France
- The Festival of Lights in Lyon, France, takes place every December. It commemorates the day residents of Lyon lit candles in colored glasses by their windows for the Virgin Mary.
During the Festival of Lights, the entire city is lit in different colours. You can find various art installations using lights on streets and buildings all around the city.
- Portland Winter Light Festival – Portland, OR
This annual event by the Willamette Light Brigade transforms Portland, OR into a city of lights. Over 100 illuminated art installations are placed all over the city. They aim to bring brightness into the dark winter season through various forms of light.
- Amsterdam Light Festival – Amsterdam, Netherlands
From December to January, Amsterdam lights up with brilliant works of light art. Light sculptures, art installations, and art projections brighten the dark days of winter. Various artists come over to tell stories and showcase their art through light.
- Winter Illuminations Festival, Japan
Known as the Nabana no Sato Winter Illumination festival, it is one of Japan’s most popular illumination events. It is held in Nabana no Sato, a botanical garden transformed into a light spectacle every winter.
It is famously known for the vast light tunnel installations found during the festival.
- Lux Helsinki – Helsinki, Finland
Lux Helsinki is an annual light festival that turns familiar buildings and landmarks into works of art through light.
Celebrating in Retirement Residences Near You
Revel in the spirit of the holiday season by visiting an event or two nearby. Or better yet, celebrate your festival of lights at your Oakville senior’s residence.
Here at Livita Queens Avenue, we love making the holidays as fun and magical as possible. Our Oakville retirement home is bustling with activities that make the holidays more meaningful for our residents.
Are you looking for the right retirement residence near you? Give us a call today to learn more about our Oakville community!