It’s no secret that as we age, our eyes need more help to do their job than earlier in life. But there are ways to help you maintain your eye health while you enjoy yourself at your retirement living facility in Oakville.
6 Eye Health Tips
- Have regular appointments with a registered optometrist! While this might be obvious, we can’t stress enough how important consistent checkups are to help you keep your eyes as sharp as possible, and just to help you with your general eye health. No at-home health tip beats proper medical care.
- If you’re a smoker, quitting is a smart move in general, but it’s also better for your eyes. Smokers are prone to develop several different eye conditions that can be exacerbated by smoking.
- Maintain a healthy diet. When your body is healthy, so are your eyes. But more specifically, some foods you eat can help maintain your eyes like salmon, tuna, all kinds of citrus, spinach, eggs, beans, and nuts. The dietary staff at our retirement residence make a point of preparing meals that are nourishing and delicious, and often include one or more of these eye-nourishing foods!
- Wear sunglasses when you go out and enjoy the sun. Exposure to UV rays can increase your risk for macular degeneration and cataracts. Just keep in mind that your sunglasses will need to block 100% of UVA and UVB rays to be truly protective. It’s important to keep your eyes protected with proper lenses, plus it’s fun to accessorize when you go out to enjoy a nice day!
- Avoid eye strain by taking blinking breaks. If you spend a lot time reading a book, or on the computer, it’s a good idea to look away for a bit and get some extra blinks in. When you concentrate on something like a good book, you tend to blink less than you normally would. It helps to take your eyes off the book, or computer screen, to allow yourself time to blink and keep your eyes well lubricated.
- Stay hydrated. Both you and your eyes need lots of water to stay healthy. If you’re dehydrated, your eyes won’t be as well-lubricated as they need to be, so be sure to keep a water bottle close.
A Retirement Residence to Be Proud of
We hope that our tips help you keep your eyes in tip top shape while you enjoy your retirement. And if you’re looking for a residence that has your happiness and health as its main reason to be, contact us now and see what Queens Avenue Retirement Residence has to offer.