Did you know that good nutrition contributes to a greater quality of life for seniors? As one of the top retirement residences in Oakville, we at Queens Avenue Retirement Residence make sure to stress the importance of a balanced lifestyle, which includes a proper and nutritious diet for our senior residents through access to our dining services.
Through our dining services offered in our senior retirement residence, we provide our senior residents with a variety of nutritionally balanced, 5-star quality meals that are made from fresh, local ingredients – including herbs from our very own garden! As seniors age and change, so do their nutritional needs. Making sure those needs are met makes a real difference in a senior’s quality of life.
Why Is Healthy Eating Important For Seniors?
- Did you know that seniors are highly susceptible to malnutrition? This happens due to a few reasons such as a slower metabolism, a lower calorie intake, and a decrease in the body’s ability to absorb nutrients in seniors.
- Because of this, it’s important that seniors eat a specific diet in order to live a healthier and balanced lifestyle in order to protect organs and brain functions, manage any chronic illnesses, strengthen their immune system, promote higher muscle and bone health.
- Retirement communities like Queens Avenue Retirement Residence are well-versed in the importance of healthy eating in seniors and ensure their health is top-of-mind.
A Special Diet For Seniors – A Food And Supplement Listing
- Fiber – Essential for maintaining digestive and heart health, as well as avoiding constipation.
- Protein – Promoting muscle strength in order to prevent falls and a loss of mobility.
- Vitamin B12 – Necessary for the digestive, blood and central nervous systems. A vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to anemia, tingling or numbness in the extremities, fatigue, poor balance, and memory loss.
- Calcium, Vitamin D, and Magnesium – All three of these nutrients are needed for maintaining strong bones and muscles in order to avoid falls and fractures as well as osteoporosis.
- Potassium – Vital for cellular function across the body including the heart, muscles, nervous system, blood, as well as maintaining strong muscles and healthy blood pressure levels.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – Maintaining heart health and brain health. Low levels of omega 3s can cause memory loss, reduced immune function, and even mental health conditions like depression.
Queens Avenue Retirement Residence: Senior Retirement Residence In Oakville
More than just a retirement residence, Queens Avenue Retirement Residence is dedicated to offering seniors a balanced and healthy lifestyle while creating a strong sense of self in our retirement communities. Contact us today to learn more about the benefits of our balanced-focus approach to retirement living and request an information package on Queens Avenue Retirement, book a personal tour, or inquire about a respite stay.